The following is a curated list of blog posts, along with my own notes, that I’ve found useful in my software development career. It’s mostly for my own reference, but may have use to others as well.
General Software Development
Avoid hasty abstractions. A low-quality abstraction can be hard to understand and worse than duplication. Wait to reduce duplication until the abstraction is so obvious its screaming out at you.
Don’t do it. The more your tests resemble the way your software is used, the more confidence they can give you.
Sometimes you can overthink architecture, don’t obsess over it so much that you don’t get anything done.
Avoid trivial password rules. Instead: Enforce a password length thats not too short, check against a common list of passwords, have a basic entropy check.
Focus on 10x outcomes vs 10x output. Code is social. Set the right example
- Joel On Software, by Joel Spolsky (Stack Overflow co-creator)
- Coding Horror, by Jeff Atwood (Stack Overflow co-creator)
- Mark’s Dev Blog, by Mark Erikson (redux maintainer)
- Overreacted, by Dan Abramov (redux co-creator, react maintainer)
- Kent C. Dodds, By Kent C. Dodds (react-testing-library creator)